The official student newspaper of GWUOHS

GW Chronicle of the Yawp

GW Chronicle of the Yawp

GW Chronicle of the Yawp

From Abandonment to Adoration: The Case for Rescuing Dogs

Hamza Uran from Pexels

Editor’s Note: The following article is an opinion piece that reflects the views of the guest writer and not the newspaper.

Have you ever been abandoned on the street without explanation, not knowing when your next meal will be? How about growing up with only your siblings if you even had any since your parents were too sick to go on? The chances are slim, but according to the World Health Organization, this is the reality for more than 200 million dogs and cats worldwide. Furthermore, only three million of these animals are actually brought to shelters. The Humane Society found that 56% of American domesticated dogs are purebred. Dogs should be rescued not bought, because rescues are overall healthier, cheaper and can have a more personal connection with their owners than purebred dogs. While a purebred dog and the process of buying one can be convenient, many aspects of it remain similar when adopting a rescue from a shelter.

Rescued dogs have many benefits, including their decreased susceptibility to certain diseases, their price tag and their stories. A study at UC Davis showed that there are ten genetic disorders for which purebred dogs are at an extremely high risk compared to rescues. As with any animal, greater gene diversity and lack of inbreeding allows mixed breeds to be better able to fend off pathogens than purebreds.

Additionally, dogs bought from shelters are at least ten times cheaper than purebred dogs. Representatives from Rabito Kontento, one of my local shelters, say that adopting one of their dogs is a mere $25 whereas a purebred could easily be sold for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Time spent researching a breed in general could be spent getting to know an individual dog – your dog. The dog shelter to which I dedicate at least five hours each week has 45 dogs, each of whom has an original tale and personality. Rescue dogs have many advantages over their purebred counterparts and more people should give them a chance.

When presented with these details, many supporters of purebreds claim that their dogs are more predictable, more behaved and more manageable with the help of their breeder. However, as previously mentioned, spending time knowing the mutt will inevitably familiarize you with them just as well. If someone is not willing to put in at least that amount of effort towards their new dog, what does that say about their capability to fulfill the responsibilities of being their owner?

Owners of purebreds also often say that they enjoy their puppy already having been in a crate, begun training and exposure to people, objects and other animals. After going to a dog shelter nearly every week for four years and seeing the dogs sleep in their crates and roam the outside patio, I can assure you that these dogs too are completely immersed in each of these situations the entire time that they are there.

Many first-time pet parents understandably flock to breeders since they will always be available for any questions or concerns that they may have. However, dog shelter managers and employees would certainly be willing to help beginners with their journey with their new pet as well. The perceptions most have of purebred dogs can be applied to rescue dogs just as much and shelter dogs should have less of a stigma attached to them for this reason.

Rescue dogs should be given more chances due to their often-superior health, cost as well as their individuality. While purchasing purebred dogs and the dogs themselves may seem more convenient to some, many circumstances remain constant when bringing a rescued dog home. If you are pondering getting an animal companion, browse the websites of local dog shelters instead of breeders. Visiting them, if possible, allows you to spend time with a potential dog before committing to them. If not, these websites often have options to input match your preferences and household situation with an available dog. These are the simple steps to combating the misery of hundreds of millions of dogs and it begins with your decision to not support breeders.

Donate to GW Chronicle of the Yawp

Your donation will support the student journalists of George Washington University Online High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.